Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Paris Day Three

Day three: Long lines. That is how the day started. But man did it pay off.

We started by going to the Catacombs. I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but to go underground and see a huge collection of bones. That might not sound all too cool, but it actually really was.

We stood in line for well over an hour, it wasn't actually too bad. Except we had to listen to this poor girl just rip apart this poor guy who just wanted to get a kiss. That's it. It was probably the most painful hour of my life. Ok, that is a lie. But really, the negativity, angst and unhappiness just pouring out of this girl made me sad.

While waiting in line we had some super delicious crepes. Our first crepes of France! Full of delicious chocolate. It was wonderful

The catacombs used to be a quarry, so the first little bit was looking at a lot of cool stone and mining techniques.

And then.... the bones.



Piles and piles of bones. Skulls. Lines of skulls.

It. Was. Creepy.

What happened was the cemeteries in Paris became to full, so some of the monasteries and the Cemetery of the Innocents. So it wasn't a bunch of criminals or anything, and for me that made it less depressing.





And after walking what felt like miles of macabre hallways, we finally made it out into the sunshine. And we went straight to some art!

I liked the Louvre (granted I didn't get to see a ton of it) but I loved the Musee d'Orsay. It was full of impressionist art. We finally got to see some real Van Gogh's.  In fact, they had an entire exhibit on Van Gogh!

I loved all of the art. It was truly beautiful.






Outside of the museum, there was this hilarious old man who was miming and dancing to the clarinet of a nearby street musician. I wish I had pictures of him. It was so hilariously funny. I wish I had it on video.

Afterwards we wandered around we found a crepe place that was so, so, so good. Imagine this, hot, homemade crepe. Filled with grilled chicken, fresh cream, cheese and mushrooms. It. Was. Incredible.


 After dinner we wandered around the Latin Quarter at night. Maybe it was part of the Jazz Quarter. I'm not sure. It was lit up, full of music, fun, food and if felt just like Paris. We walked the streets for a few hours, visiting shops and just enjoying the day. Also, the street musicians are fantastic!









No comments:

Post a Comment