Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Paris Day 2

This morning we had planned on going to Versailles. Yeah. No. You see, yesterday we walked nearly 13 miles. and we didn't sleep at all the night before. We totally didn't wake up in time to go. But we didn't let that stop us!

We got out the door, turned around and came back in. Put on another sweater (I was wearing two hoodies today( so if I look extra puffy you know why) and left again. We headed straight for the Latin Quarters. Which we kinda accidentally missed just a little. But we still saw part of it, thanks to this lovely old couple who saw us looking confused on the street. Bless them.

First up: Stephen’s church. No, really. It was St Etienne du Mont. Etienne is Stephen in French.

Secondly, the Pantheon (which was under construction). I would like to add that if felt like November. And it rained. A lot. 

From there we walked over to the Sarbonne. Which we saw the outside of. And, due to the pouring rain, decided to go to lunch. (Another thing to add, we had to do a LOT of walking between these things)

Lunch was delicious. I had a croque-madam. And I loved it. Stephen had French Onion Soup, and he loved that as well.

Funny story, after lunch I went downstairs to use the bathroom. I stood and waited because when I went to use the door it felt locked. I waited and waited. A French lady came to use the bathroom. We waited together. She knocked on the door. And then did something to open it. I turned to her, embarrassed, and said, “I’m sorry, I’m Canadian.”

While walking to the Church of St Sulpice after lunch, I practiced my pick pocketing skills. I always wanted to be a thief, but I have a conscience. So I can’t. The only person I can steal from is Stephen. So I stole his wallet and put it in my bag. After much giggling about it, he took me in his arms and pushed me up against a wall (we were walking down a quiet street) the man walking across the street was about ready to come and rescue me from my mugger, as Stephen was saying (threateningly) “Give me the wallet!” It was only my giggling and laughter that kept us from having the police called.

The Church of St Sulpice was incredible. And frightening. They were playing some crazy organ music.

From here we walked to the Point de l’Art. And we bought a lock, wrote on it, locked it on the fence (27.5 steps from the end of the bridge on the left hand side if you are coming from the opposite side of the Louvre). We made our wishes and threw the keys into the Seine.

From there it was to the Louvre! I won’t bore you with a bunch of pictures of art (that we didn’t really take, ha!) But I will say this we got in late. So we took much too long looking at one side, and then realized we had an hour left. And I really had to pee. So we did the walking-fast-have-to-pee-so-bad-fly-by-look-at-that-there-we-go version of it. Someday, I would like to actually take my time in there.

This guy totally creeped me out.

We saw the Mona Lisa just in time. Seriously, We got to her, had a good look (without the crowds!) and then they closed and we were literally herded out of there. We WILL come back!

Afterwards, we were exhausted. So we went to the park right next to the Louvre and sat down. Kind of fell asleep-in-the-sun… It felt great!

We walked back to the bridge and went to the general area where our lock was. We wanted to find it again. Once we were in the general area (and there are hundreds of locks) the very first lock I touched was ours. People, that is just… a sign. I will say no more.

We walked back to the Latin Quarter and had dinner at a quaint French pizza parlor (there is such a thing) where Stephen made friends with the guy sitting next to us and they talked law and school and Stephen made a great connection. Again. As always (he did also break a goblet, just sayin’)

And now, after 11 miles of walking, it is time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment